Pregnancy Hip Pain Relief
Becoming Mom offers a range of services to you before, during, and after your pregnancy. We are there for you throughout the experience, offering spa services and ultrasounds at different stages of your journey to motherhood. We know that women may experience aching hips during pregnancy. Our massage services can help to relieve hip pain, resulting in a more comfortable pregnancy.
Causes of Hip Pain During Pregnancy
Third-trimester hip pain is most common among pregnant women as the body works to prepare itself for labor. The aching and discomfort can be caused by one single concern or by a combination of factors. Each of the following may result in hip pain:
- Hormone relaxin. This hormone is released to help soften the connective tissue surrounding your hips. It loosens ligaments in the body that hold the sacroiliac joints together, which are the joints connecting your pelvis to your spine. Once loose, these joints and ligaments may begin to cause pain in your hips.
- Sciatica. Pregnancy increases pressure on the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve runs along your lower back down to your feet. As the uterus becomes larger throughout pregnancy, it creates more pressure on your hips and thighs. You may experience pain in these areas along with a tingling sensation or numbness.
- Round ligament pain. The round ligament stretches during pregnancy to support the uterus, connecting the uterus to the groin. When stretched quickly, by sudden movements, for example, the round ligament will contract. This contraction can cause pain in the abdomen, hips, and groin area. The pain typically does not last for more than a few seconds.
- Transient osteoporosis. This rare skeletal disorder may occur during the third trimester of pregnancy in otherwise healthy women.
- Poor posture. Poor posture may cause strain on your body and result in hip pain.
Treatments for Pregnancy Hip Pain
There are a series of treatment options that target the different causes of pregnancy hip pain. The following strategies and treatments may provide pregnancy hip pain relief:
- Sleep position
- Pregnancy pillow
- Yoga and pilates
- Water exercise
- Heat therapy
- Prenatal massage
Sleep position and use of a pregnancy pillow can help to alleviate discomfort in the later stages of your pregnancy. It is recommended to sleep on your side while keeping your knees bent. You may use a pregnancy pillow to support your abdomen, which can help to prevent pain. In order to specifically reduce pressure on your hips while sleeping, you may want to position a pillow at the small of your back and lean against it.
Exercising will strengthen the muscles in your back and abdomen, which can reduce tension and pain in your hip area. Heat therapy, including bathing in warm water or using heated compresses, can relax your muscles and relieve pain. Likewise, rest can also cause muscles and ligaments to relax.
Prenatal massage can also help to ease your uncomfortable symptoms. Massage can target painful areas of your body and alleviate tension and stress.
Our Hip Pain Services at Becoming Mom
Massage therapy at Becoming Mom is performed by a Prenatal Certified Medical Massage Therapist. The treatment can address various issues that you may experience while pregnant, including stress, headaches, heartburn, gas, constipation, cramping, and hip pain. If you have been suffering from any of these common pregnancy issues, ask your physician to order a Therapeutic Medical Massage at Becoming Mom. We take care to alleviate your symptoms and make your pregnancy more comfortable.
Some insurance companies and most flexible spending accounts cover the cost of a massage when ordered by a physician as treatment. You may also choose an enhancer to customize your massage. These are not available to be scheduled without a massage.
Benefits of Massage
There are some important benefits that you may experience from a prenatal massage. These include:
- Reduced joint pain
- Reduced back pain
- Improved circulation
- Reduced muscle tension and
- Fewer headaches
- Reduced stress
- Improved oxygenation of soft tissue and muscles
- Enhanced quality of sleep
Becoming Mom Massage Packages
At Becoming Mom we offer a variety of massage packages. We offer massages to women before, during, and after pregnancy, and have options available for expecting fathers as well. Your choice may be based on what stage of pregnancy you are in and/or what products interest you the most.
As you consider what package would be best for you, please see below the available prenatal massage therapy options:
- Pregnancy Massage
The Ohio Medical Board Certified Massage Therapists at Becoming Mom have had intensive prenatal training and can offer a full body massage at any stage of pregnancy. You will have your choice of an all-natural massage oil that is best suited to your individual symptoms. The massage may last either 50 or 80 minutes. These may also be purchased in packages of six.
- Belly Bliss
This massage combines omega-rich oils that work to repair and protect your skin to provide greater elasticity to your baby bump. Think of it like a facial for your belly! This service also includes a foot massage.